Friday, August 5, 2011

Rising Sickness

Being sick stinks. Slowly feeling sick is especially stinky. But the stinkiest of stinks for me is dealing with diabetes while I'm sick.

The problem for diabetics is that being sick makes their blood sugar rise higher than normal. In fact, diabetics can tend to have higher blood sugar when their bodies are stressed from many things, not just the common cold. Simply put, all kinds of stress can cause blood sugar to rise. Such a short statement carries so many implications for the health of millions of people.


The complexity of stress is buried in the its definition.
(check out the American Institute of Stress for more reading) If I were to ask a hundred people what to define what stress means to them, I might get a hundred different answers. A mom worries about the baby, a weight-lifter is concerned about his or her workout routine, kids might say that stress is like going to a school dance or taking a drivers license test. Well actually, adults may feel the same way about school dances and drivers licenses, but for different reasons.

The point is that stress is variable and our bodies can react as individually as our personalities appear to other people. The most basic definition of biological stress that I have read is that, "Stress refers to the consequence of the failure of an organism — human or other animal — to respond adequately to mental, emotional, or physical demands, whether actual or imagined."

After reading this definition, I'm trying to figure out what part of my life ISN'T stressful. Today, I'm feeling sick, which is a major stress because my body is falling short on the physical demand to fight off a virus. My body is battling the virus, bacteria, or inflammation that is causing my suffering and sending out hormones to signal my body to do what is necessary. Those hormones travel throughout my body regulating and influencing my immune system during the battle and recovery. Some of the hormones, such as cytokines, growth factors, glucogon, and adrenaline, help the immune system overcome stress. Unfortunately, these hormones can also prevent insulin from doing its job.

Some of the hormones released inhibit insulin or increase the amount of sugar released into the bloodstream. This website from Cornell University gives a nice overview for many of the hormones involved. The end result is that a sick diabetic is also battling insulin resistance and increased blood sugar. High blood sugar is another stress on the body and can also ends up increasing these hormones and making their blood sugar continue rising. Its an awful circle when a diabetic gets sick.

However, diabetic are not the only people affected. I believe stress and sickness are difficult for everyone. I also believe it is important to find ways to deal with stress in a nondestructive manner for your own mental and physical health. In the long run, reducing and managing stress makes you a happier healthier person ready to fight illness and prevent disease. But diabetics need to be especially aware of the effects of stress on our blood sugar.

I am a Type I diabetic and today I feel a head cold coming on. As a result, my blood sugars have been well above normal. On top of that, I haven't been sleeping well, which increases my stress and compiles the problem.


The only way to work through this problem is to listen to my body and take care of the sickness. Many diabetic resource pages have sick day checklists (check out American Diabetes Association check list). They are very consistent between groups and go something like this,
  • Drink plenty of fluids and get all the rest you need.
  • Eat. Even if you don't feel good, you should eat.
  • Monitor your blood sugar more frequently and correct as often as needed.
So tonight, I'm going to eat a healthy dinner and get to bed early. I'm already monitoring 6-8 times a day and I'm catching those high blood sugars before they linger and make me feel worse than I already feel. Also, I find that meditation helps to relieve the stress of not feeling well and helps to make my mind clearly and body heal faster. Hopefully, I'll be feeling better and less stressed within a couple days and I won't have so much to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment