Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Finding New Spots for my Insulin Pump

I use the Paradigm pump from Medtronic with the Silhouette infusion sets. For a variety of reasons, I sometimes have red irritated spots when I change the set. I was getting tired of a dozen dots on the front of stomach and last night I tried my back on ride side just above the hip. It was a little challenging getting the inserter steady, but with a mirror, I was able to successfully place my pump.

3hr post dinner, I was very high (288) and I corrected before bed. This morning I was surprisingly still high (235). My feeling is that there is less fat on my back and adsorption is not the same. Unfortunately, I had just filled it last night, so I don't want to throw out the reservoir of insulin.

I planned to ride this one out and monitor throughout day. Perhaps, I just needed time to adjust.

By lunchtime, my blood sugar was 166. Not too bad! Later, I would be going to a JHPDA Happy Hour. The Happy Hour started around 5pm, and I tried to only drink Michalob Ultra and not eat chips (instead I ate cheese, veggies, and the toppings on the pizza). It was a very successful Happy Hour and lasted for a long while. I got home around 9pm with a blood sugar of ~200. I corrected and ate some Ramyun for dinner.

I have a feeling my site needed time to adjust. The back seems to work just as well as the stomach and I should continue looking for sites to rotate my infusion sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment