Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bipbimbap overload

Some days it feels more difficult ot control my blood sugar than others. Today was an example of my diet and stress making my management difficult.


I had homemade tom yum soup with rice noodles for lunch. I particular love rice noodles in my Thai food but there's something about those high carb noodles that tends to throw my levels for a loop. They have a lot of carbs to begin with, but then if we boil and wash them too long, I tend to go low because we are washing off a lot of the starches on the outside of the noodles. If I'm eating a lot, that makes a larger difference in how much insulin I take versus how much I need.

Today, it resulted in a mild drop in my blood sugar. Its important to follow the trends because I will revisit this dish and then I'll be able to take the correct amount. It requires mindfulness of what most people consider mundane details of daily life.

Later we had bipbimbap and doen jang (two of my favorite Korean dishes)soup for dinner. These dishes I eat frequently and I can control very well. However, the first few times I wasn't very successful and my blood sugar went very high. It turned out that I wasn't accounting for the gochu jang (pepper paste) that has some carbs, as well as the carrots.

But after some trial and error, I almost never have any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment